Monday, April 25, 2011

Provoked a long status.

My friend posted how this ladies opinion was similar to her own:

Ex-Mormon story

What people don't realize about this particular series, is that it's not necessarily mean to attack. In the Mormon religion it tells you to spread what you know to be truth using things such as the internet. I think it's only fair that if you discover that you don't believe that it's true, that you should be allowed to state your opinion as well. If you have the same opinions as these people, you want to help people from deceit. Besides, look at how many mormonads are on the internet.. I believe, personally, that it's only fair... that these people state their opinions as well...

I find it interesting now, having the opposite view than I used to. They talked about how this lady must have found anti-mormon literature, when yet it states that she first looked at Mormon literature. Often what people find to be anti-mormon literature... can even be original, untainted church documents. Did you know that the Book of Mormon has been revised in over 4, 000 different places?

I must admit I am rather scared in posting this. I get scared every time posting a post like this. Do you know how annoying it is to hear that people think that you're possessed by Satan just because your opinion changed? Do you know how annoying it is for other people to see you as a threat, or even dangerous? To hear that I lost potential, apparently, because I left a religion? My intention is not to attack the church even. It's just to give it another perspective.

One of the ladies who was commenting back and forth with me on this told me that I should take a look at the opposite end of things. That I should research what the church's viewpoint is. I found this funny, because I was  Mormon for twenty years. Not only that, but I soaked in every piece of Mormon literature that I could. I knew that religion quite well, for someone within my community, or even someone who believes in a religion. I wanted to make sure that I knew what I believed. It was when I discovered that the church was no longer sitting right with me, that I had to leave. I knew that I would lose people, that people would view me differently, but I didn't care. Truth mattered more.Anyway, I've already discussed this aspect lots. Here is the status that this line of thought provoked

Kotarah Soleil believes that people are meant to have opinions. This is what so many people have fought for within our country, for people to be able to express their opinions. It saddens me when I see that a person is condemned for expressing that opinion, just because it's different from either one they had previous and changed, or one that's different from another's. Isn't this, in many ways, wrong? After all, aren't intellectual people allowed to disagree? It's beautiful to see, for what other purpose is there to life if not to question everything? Expressing one's viewpoints can help both people. It can help the two parties to question. Isn't there wisdom in questioning? Isn't that the only way to gain wisdom? Even at the end of the day if you are wrong, at least you had the experience. At least you learned something. You will also have created a bond with that person, if you allow it, if you don't block them out and really listen. For underneath it all.. you will see they are the same. They just want their voice to be heard too. They've seen things which show their opinion as well. Knowledge is a justified, true, belief. It's often getting to that point that can be difficult. Once you do, that justified, true, belief can be different from someone else. Look at the way this world works. So many different paths for different people. Yet, they usually end up being beautiful. Isn't that all that really matters? What are you going to remember in the years to come? That you disagreed with someone and left them? Or that you were able to reach an understanding for many.. and learn love... ? That you were able to fill your brain with so much information, that you can't help but smile, because you question everything. Nothing is boring, because there's always something new to learn and someone new to love.

What bothers me is that most people are so busy mocking another person's viewpoint, that they forget that the person is just the same as them. The mormonads on youtube, and the exmormon videos on youtube have essentially the same purpose, just done in a different way.

Here are the similarities:


  • They are both testimonies
  • They show a person's journey, and tell their story
  • They are done by people who believe they have found a truth
  • They both speak of life changing experience 
Differences:

  • exmormon videos speak of loss. When you think about it, it makes sense that it's done the way that it is. When you have to change your ENTIRE core, you're naturally going to go through anger, depression, etc. 
  • Mormonads are done by an official (very well organized) organization, exmormon's are never exactly the same. Some become atheist, Christian, Agnostic, etc. 
  • Mormonads are done by an entire organization, whereas exmormon videos are done only by one man I believe?
  • exmormon videos are more contraversal. They speak of topics that aren't always light. 
What I don't understand, though, is why people find it such a big deal. I would probably be smacked by some people for saying that.. but really? What is the point of the continual fight? Especially for a religion which is supposed to promote living peacefully, to see that the people can't follow through with that? Wouldn't that make you question to? People say that people aren't the religion, but to some extent they are. Every religion is founded by people, so if not by the people then what else is there? People are generally the best indication of the moral value behind an organization. Words can be done by anyone, it's action that takes a certain different kind of person. Tell me you believe in Christ, great. I want to see that you won't judge me, and will allow Christ to judge me instead. I want to see what you know. I want to see you be able to talk to a person without trying to convert them, if they don't want to be converted. I want you to see people as people. I want you to love them for who they are, for that is what you're taught. I figure this is common sense, but as someone said, common sense isn't so common anymore. Yes, if you talk to someone who's left a religion there is a chance that their opinions might get you to question their beliefs. Big deal. We question things all the time anyway. Would you rather bury your head under the sand and remain ignorant? For as I once said, Ignorance is NOT bliss. 

Again, I'm not trying to condemn, but I just don't understand. Why can't we allow people to have their own views? Why can't we allow them to EXPRESS them? Otherwise everything our forefathers did, was a waste. A complete waste. They wanted love, unity, equality, and I'm sure for people to be really educated. It's things like this which start wars, which cause conflict. All of us naturally get defensive about the things that we believe, but.. I want to dare you to try something. I want to dare you to try and lower your defense, to try to learn something. Talk to someone you disagree with, and even if you end up still believing your right after really listening to their opinion... they're going to notice the difference. They're going to notice that they were heard, that they are a person, and that there is a potential that you might care about something other than your own ego. 

By the way, here's an awesome song.


lovely song

PS Sorry if this is disjointed. I blame emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment