Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Goodbye Katimavik.

6 months, 11 participants, 1 project leader, new volunteer projects all across the country.

What does this equal?

The chance of a lifetime. Or at least, it does if you allow the opportunity to take place within your soul. I found that there were so many other groups which seemed to grasp the idea of Katimavik way better than my group did. By the time we got to Quebec, all people were doing were talking about going home. When they got home, they were all talking about how they wished they were at Katimavik.

Regardless of their attitude about Katimavik, there were definitely friendships formed within this. I think in a lot of ways Katimavik is like a very long camp. You expect that you're going to be friends with everyone for years on end, when the fact of the matter is, that within the kind of group.. the likelihood of all the people even liking each other is slim.

It's been a year and an half since the program even started. I can see that things are already starting to change within us. People want to stay in touch, people have changed (including myself) and so in a lot of ways, I'm choosing to let go of Katimavik. It was the most life-changing experience of my life, but now it's time to move on. It's time to make new friends in places which are closer to me. It's time to create my life around something which I can do now, as opposed to what I did then.

In a lot of ways it makes me sad.. but I recognize that it's necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment