Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Is the 'why' productive?

Quite possibly.. I'm one of the most curious people out there. One of my ex's, while I was dumping him said that he was happy I was dumping him because I reminded him way too much of a scientist. (As you can imagine, I was deeply insulted. *sarcasm* *rolls eyes*) The reason he said that, is because I always ask questions. I always do. I just like knowing the answers to things. Probably because I have a socially awkward personality where I don't know when to sensor what I should and should not be saying, most of what comes out of my mouth is questions.

Not surprising, today I started asking a lot of why questions. It sent me on a downward spiral. "Why didn't I do this?" "Why isn't this happening?" etc. As you can see, it was sending me on a downward spiral.

Then I started questioning (ha) the productivity of the question "why." I think it honestly depends on if you're looking at it as a motivation to move forward, or if you're using it as something to stay in the past (much like everything).

For example, I'm sure inventors ask lots of why questions. The questions that got somewhere. We wouldn't be as technologically advanced as we are today if they hadn't asked 'why'?

Sometimes I have to wonder if they ever asked negative "why's". I'm sure that if they did, it was replaced with positive. "Why did this surge not work?" would be a way more productive question than "Why am I doing this?" Although that could theoretically be a positive thing too...

I think this is a break-through for me. Discovering my thought processes in something so simple as the 'why' questions that I'm asking could very well lead me to be a very different type of person... the type of person who moves ahead instead of reverting backwards. I realize now that I get so caught up in questions, that I forget to live. "Why are we here? What is my purpose?" (Yes, I'm moving on to other questions... because they can all be productive or unproductive.) I think it's more important to enjoy my time here, and create my purpose.

As a matter of fact, I did that today while talking to a lady at my school.

That, however is a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment