Thursday, April 29, 2010

Discovering life through stories.

Simulations. I'm sure many of you have heard of the term before. Actually, many might be pushing my luck. Let's start with what a simulation is. A simulation is role play. Real life situations without real life consequences. There are no limitations with simulations. The only restrictions with simulations are ones that you create for yourself. Shouldn't this be the way that life is? Maybe it is. Who is really restricting us besides ourselves? There are things that can kind of prevent for us, but I do believe that if God wills it, it will happen.

One of the simulations I did over the weekend was called "Mind field." There were a bunch of bottles and cups on the floor, kind of spaced out. We had to get to one side of the room to the other without touching the bottles or cups or else we had to go back to the beginning. Oh yeah, we were blindfolded. We had to listen to a guide who was only allowed to stay behind a taped line. You could only really hear them when you first started out on your journey. Then, we decided to throw in deceivers. The particular girl that we chose to have for a deceiver was incredible, but oh sooo frustrating! Yes, she was a genius, but never before have I had such infuriating feelings toward someone. She would move the bottles into a wall that cradled my feet. She would not cease. I did end up giving up because there seemed to be no way around her trap. I ended up learning a lot from the experience, but that does not mean that it was enjoyable.

Adversity doesn't quit on us. Adversity doesn't say 'oh, Lucy has that weakness so I'll be lenient.' no no no no! He thinks 'A weakness - hooray!'

But this is what I mean. Stories help (at least me) to figure out problems. I think of simulations as stories. I am a character in it - and how I react can make or break me. There have been some simulations where I have figured out how to lead a rebellion, there have been others (like Mine field) where I just give up. In the end, I always learn something new about myself.

The actual writing process of stories can be beneficial as well. I find that when I'm in a group of friends my stories are entertaining and filled with laughter, whereas when I'm on my own, they tend to be more serious.

I find I can only read an author's book for so long before I get tired of the writing style (unless if it's a really, really good story). Stories have elements of truth. You could try to write the farthest story from yourself, and yet it would still end up in some way, shape or form being like you. Or in this case, me. I'm going to try and experiment with this within the next little while. Maybe that will be my next writing project.

Just some thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment